Tulsa TechFest 2011
Tyler Chessman, Business Intelligence Technology Specialist, Microsoft
Tyler Chessman is a Business Intelligence Technology Specialist with Microsoft. He has written several articles for SQL Server Magazine, and recently used PowerPivot to help author a book about the national debt.
Crescent (part of SQL Server Denali)
The next major release of SQL Server includes several new Business Intelligence (BI) capabilities. One area of investment, project Crescent, provides a blend of reporting, visualization, and data exploration functionality through a Silverlight interface exposed in a browser. Crescent layers on top of the new Business Intelligence Semantic Model (BISM) - the next iteration of the in-memory OLAP model first introduced in PowerPivot for Excel/SharePoint. In this talk, Tyler will review the BISM basics and provide an in-depth demonstration of how to use and deploy Crescent.
Spatial capabilities in SSRS 2008 R2
In 2008, Tyler wrote an article for SQL Magazine, "Integrating Sql Server 2008 Spatial Capabilities with Microsoft Virtual Earth"
Since then, SSRS 2008 R2 has shipped a built-in mapping control for spatial visualization (and Virtual Earth is now called Bing Maps). In recent customer engagements, Tyler has found it is sometimes necessary to supplement R2's spatial capabilities in order to satisfy use-cases. In this talk, he will cover key approaches that can help you leverage and extend the mapping capabilities of SSRS 2008 R2.
* Session Objective(s):
- Discuss the key use cases for the SSRS 08 R2 Mapping Control
- Identify issues/shortcomings with the existing R2 capabilities
- Learn how to address these shortcomings using SQL Server based maps and the Microsoft.SqlServer.Types namespace
* What we will cover
- Build a custom set of spatial maps, stored in a SQL Server database, to replace the built-in 2008 R2 maps
- Understand how to support the requirement of dynamic maps and map drill through
- Learn how to work with geocoded data that is not stored in a SQL Server 2008 geography data type.